AEE Lab MISO Electricity Experiment Installation Instructions
Both the server and client programs are written in Java and works
on Windows and Linux platforms. The software comes with an embedded
web server and does NOT need the Apache web server to run.
You will need to have the following installed in order to run
- Java Runtime Environment 1.5 or higher
- Web browser with Java enabled
- The server and client programs are packaged in one zipped file
and can be downloaded from here.
Unpack the files to a directory on your computer.
- Navigate to the directory and double-click on "start-server.bat"
to run. This will open a Windows terminal with the message
"Press ctrl-c to terminate this server" and you will
see the server Control
Panel (Figure 1).
Figure 1. Server Control Panel
- Click on "Settings " in the Control Panel to allow
you to specify the initialisation file to use and output
directory (Figure 2). The sample init file is named "conf/init.xml"
and the default output directory is "data/output".
Click on "Save Settings" to save any changes you
Figure 2. Changing Settings on Server
- Click on "Load Config" to load the initialisation
file. The control panel will reflect the changes
(Figure 3). If you loaded init.xml, the experiment will
run with four sellers and four buyers. The program will also
Figure 3. Control Panel after loading
initialisation file init.xml
- The server is now ready to accept connections from eight participant clients.
- Open a web browser in your client machine. It is recommended
you test that the server and client programs can communicate
with each other by running both programs on the same machine
first before using remote machines. This will eliminate all
other points of failure such as network problems and firewalls.
- On the web browser, type in http://<server's IP address>:4080
on the URL field. If you are running the client and server on the same
machine, the URL will be "http://localhost:4080".
Note that here localhost denotes the machine you want to
connect to, and 4080 specifies the port number.
- The client web page will load the java program and you will see
a login page (Figure 4). If your browser warns you that you
are running software which cannot be verified, click
"Run" to continue loading the client.
Figure 4. Client Login Screen
- Type in your name, e-mail address and student code and choose the
participant code. Depending on the type of participant you choose, you
will see either Seller trading screen (Figure 5) or Buyer trading
screen (Figure 6).
Figure 5. Seller trading screen
Figure 6. Buyer trading screen
The information on
the server's control panel will change as each participant logs
in to reflect their
Once all participants have logged in, the
experiment can begin by clicking the "Start" button on
the server's control panel.
- All participants must be logged in before the experiment can
- If you wish to run the clients on remote machines, you will
need to know the IP address of the server machine. You can find
this out by opening a command prompt (Windows "Start"
=> "Run" => Open "cmd") and typing ipconfig
on the terminal. Replace localhost with this IP address
in the URL field above to access the client program remotely
using your web browser.
Last Modified: 17 October 2007